Friday, June 11, 2010

First Food Memory


I was watching Top Chef Masters the other night -- it was the finale, and one of the tasks was that the chefs had to prepare a new dish which represented their first food memory.

The three finalists all readily had one -- and, try as I could, I really couldn't come up with one. I don't remember any time as a young child eating something or tasting something and thinking Wow.

I was trying to figure out what the first food I remember eating was -- and the best I could come up with was peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I remember the sandwich was made on one piece of bread with peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other and then it was folded over. I remember learning/being taught or told that you don't eat the heel of the bread -- we never did, even though I always ate the crusts. And the bread was always puffy soft white bread.

I remember seeing kids in school whose mothers had cut the crusts off their bread and declaring them sissies (well, in my mind, not to their face).

The other early food memory I have is Campbell's chicken and rice soup -- the yellowish gray thin broth and how the rice had some shape and edges to it and little bits of chicken. That was one of my favorites.

So tell me your first food memory -- hope it's more interesting than my PB&J.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

This may not be my first food memory but it is the one I remember most growing up. My mother would cut out the middle of a square slice of white bread and fry it a frying pan. She then would flip it over and crack open an egg and place the yolk right in the middle of the hole. I think she flipped it over for a second or two and we would have the most delicious fried egg in the bread with the hole in the middle. The piece of bread that was cut out was also fried so we could dip it in the soft delicious yolk. On a recent trip to Florida, we had breakfast at a Cracker Barrel restaurant and that was one of the items on the menu. It was so delicious and brought back many fond memories of my lovely mom who brought so many wonderful meals to the table.

Mary Mc said...

I have some early bread memories - my mother would make cinnamon toast which was just toast with butter a mixture of cinnamon and suger, and if you put it on when the toast was still hot, the cinnamon sugar would melt into the toast. mmmmm I also remember if we had some sort of meat and gravy and ran out of meat, we'd put a piece of soft white bread on the plate and cover it with gravy. More comfort food.