Thursday, June 17, 2010

What I Wouldn't Have Believed When I Was Young

Today, I was out for my Thursday lunch, and the bartender, Joe, who is in his early 60s has his married son, wife and newborn living with them temporarily. I asked how the baby was doing -- I think he is now 3 weeks old, and commented how nice it must be for him to have his grandchild there.

He got this sort of misty look on his face and said that the other day he was coming out of the shower and his wife was standing in their bedroom, holding the baby against her chest with her back to Joe and so he came out of the shower, saw the baby's face, his wife's back and he smiled and said "For a second, it was just like old times."

By that he meant, as if it were 30 years ago and his now adult children were babies. So to go back to the title, I never would have believed when I was young that 30 years can go by like a flash... just as I sit and scratch my head that 1990 was 20 years ago. How did that happen?

No comments: