Friday, August 13, 2010

How. long should things last?

I am thinking I need to update my expectations about how long appliances last. Today I am talking specifically about my Water Pik which worked one day, perfectly, and then the following day was totally broken. The 'on/off' switch would not work, was loose, and clearly not engaging and so I couldn't turn it on. I hadn't dropped it or anything like that.

Just now, I was looking over different replacements at amazon.com, somewhat annoyed, over another way to spend money when someone happily said that the purchase they were reviewing was their fifth Water Pik, and how they normally last 3 to 4 years. Really?

I have to say that's probably how long I've had mine -- it could be five years or even six, but my expectation, short of dropping the thing, is that its life will be longer.

I didn't have wishful thinking that it would somehow heal itself, and I dumped it in the trash and have now ordered a replacement.

I have been thinking about my computer. It will be two years old, come Thanksgiving, and I think you enter than danger zone after two years. I use my computer 7 days a week. It's definitely "rid hard."

No comments: