Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Snorkeling at Sharks Cove


I don't know if I'd be game to snorkel at a place called Sharks Cove, but my friends Lachlan and James did just that -- and here's the proof. They are in Hawaii.

Lachlan wrote: Thought ya'll'd enjoy some snorkeling action-shots of Sharks Cove up on the North Shore of the island. Later that afternoon, we went surf fishing in an equally beautiful state park area where we caught a few fish... my first Pacific Ocean catch n' release was a, get this spelling not to mention the pronunciation: Humuhumunukunukuaoua'a. Cute fish, horrible name for it which means in Hawaiian, "triggerfish with a snout like a pig"....

Here's the fish in question:



In case you ever go on Jeopardy and the category is Hawaiian trivia, here's an interesting factoid from Wikipedia:

Humuhumunukunukuapuaʻa means "triggerfish with a pig-like short snout." It is not, as often claimed, the longest fish name in Hawaiian; that distinction belongs to lauwiliwilinukunukuʻoiʻoi ("long-snouted fish shaped like a wiliwili leaf"), the butterflyfish Forcipiger longirostris. For the purposes of religious sacrifices, every land animal in the Hawaiian islands had an equivalent in the sea. The Humuhumunukunukuapua‘a was seen as equal to a pig.

For the past few weeks, my drug of choice -- whoops, I mean my game of choice has been doing online jigsaw puzzles. If you enjoy them, check out www.jigzone.com (puzzles are free to do) so everything starts looking like a jigsaw puzzle to me, including these two photos.

1 comment:

Lachlan said...

Hey Pat! I LOVE this....what fun to see our adventure here on your great blog :) I'm still trying to learn how to pronounce this fish's name. James caught a Giant Trevally the other day- really cool!

Aloha from Hawaii & all the best to you as always, Lachlan