Friday, December 17, 2010

What I'm Reading


I belong to two Book Clubs -- Book of the Month and History Book Club, and I'm pretty good at responding to the offers, especially since I can do it on line, rather than the old days where you had to return a postcard.

But just like a bill that occasionally goes astray, I must have missed one and so this book arrived, unasked for and not really wanted. But it didn't seem worth the effort to return it.

I'd heard of John le Carre, but hadn't read any of his books. I knew he'd been around for a long time -- in fact, he's published novels since 1961 including The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

So, of course, like all things that I protest, I started reading this and am really enjoying it, even though I don't like espionage novels. I like this one! I was just reading about him in Wikipedia, and he is a very important author.

And speaking of things I thought I wouldn't like, I loved, not liked, but loved Foyle's War. There were four episodes, and I couldn't say which is my favorite. They were all good, all "smart" mysteries, so evocative of the time (South Coast of England during WW II) and I will definitely continue and rent the remaining four seasons from Netflix.

No comments: