Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Farewell to Fran's Old Friend



This is a 100-year old tree which has reached the end of its life and it's going to be taken down. I am sure that will be painful to watch. Fran writes:

This tree, about 100 years old, is one of my very favorite DC tree friends and seeing it go breaks my heart and the hearts of many neighbors. Although I must remember that it has died of old age and disease -- and that its felling is not the work of an individual who doesn't want tree sap falling on his car! Imagine all it has seen.

You know I'm a nutty tree toucher and it was one that I would reach out and pat it on the way to and from home. Its incredible energy was so reassuring, protective so calming (yeah, I have it a big hug goodbye yesterday). Another favorite friend, a 100 + year old oak near the Saratoga apartment building was taken down earlier this year - also due to decay.


You'll notice there's a paper attached to the tree, and an anonymous admirer posted this poem on the tree:

Worry Not for Your Old Friend

To those who may mourn my departure
worry not for where or why I must go,
as I will rejoin the forest of my fathers
away from the cold, wind and snow
peacefully awaiting my time to return
as sapling, child, or other as I've earned.

For decades upon decades I have stood
here in this place we both call home,
and I've been the best tree I could
as I've watched you all come and go,
But the world has just changed so much,
I don't know how you can live as such.
So busy, so loud, so fast, so chaotic.

Just pause for a moment here under me
and simply enjoy nature, so harmonic.
It's easy to think that the world you see
Is all that exists with nothing beyond,
but I can tell you surely you're wrong.
So save your thoughts of foul felling.

My time has come, and thus I depart
without tears, complaints or yelling,
for I've lived a good life with a clear heart,
and my advice for you is to do the same.
Be kind, stand tall, and live up to your name.

In all of you, such greatness can there be
Truth, Compassion, and Tolerance is the key.

4707 Connecticut Ave Tree


Fran concludes: Onward. Welcome saplings.

Here are other friends. Fran calls these the Sister Trees:

1 comment:

Fran said...

Thank you my special human friend for honoring this special tree friend. A big hug to both of you.