Friday, February 11, 2011

Expiration Dates

Of course, I depend on the expiration dates on food to make sure what I'm eating remains wholesome -- but recently I've seen two expiration dates that make me scratch my head.

The first date was on the bottom of a roll-on deoderant. Since I don't stockpile deoderant or buy it by the case, I know this deoderant (mainstream brand) was about as new as could be.

And I was wrong.

The expiration date was February 10, 2010 -- more than a year ago! I didn't notice it not working (Hmmm... a good thing!) so I continue to use it in its espired form. I wonder what the shelflife of a deoderant is.

I was just now drinking a can of Diet Dr Pepper, somehow looked at the bottom of the can and this can -- which I bought in the grocery store a week ago is set to expire in two weeks.

What's the shelflife of soda? I wonder if this particular soda was sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

To continue my ramblings -- I had gone out today and when I returned home and took off my coat I had terrible static cling -- and I've had this can of Static Guard for years, leftover from the days where you'd wear slips and pantyhose and everything rubbed together. I see that lowly can of Static Guard and it's got to be 15 years old, really, but I haven't been able to dump it for the "I'm sure it's fine" reason. When you need Static Guard, you really need it.

So maybe I should practice what I preach and give it the heave ho.

2 comments:

Mary Mc said...

did the static guard work? If so, I wouldn't throw it away - just for days like yours. It doesn't take up significant space. I have no idea where these expiration dates come from but it seems like a waste of money to throw away stuff like that and then have to buy a new one for one time use? I can see throwing away things that aren't usable anymore and I probably should be more rigorous about spices but as long as they work for me, I figure they're ok. Maybe I'm too lazy...

Pat said...

I've been looking at expiration dates. My toothpaste has none (on the tube; maybe it did on the box), but my mouthwash expires January 2012.