Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Greetings from Reno

I'm here for a conference, and I can say this is not an easy place to get to. Left JFK to Salt Lake to Reno -- started at 9 am, got to my hotel room at 8 pm (and there's a three-hour time difference.) By the time I got here, I had just plain run out of gas.

This is a huge hotel and convention center. Here's my room and the view from my window -- you can see the mountains in the distance. Wish I had time to go visit nearby Lake Tahoe. This is a big ski area, and there is supposed to be a big snow tomorrow into Friday. This one I don't have to worry about.

I would also like to go visit Donner Pass, if you recall your history. That was the site where the party of westward pioneers got stuck in the snow (30 feet of it over time)and reverted to cannibalism to survive. I remember reading about it when I was like 4th grade -- have seen a few documentaries about it. Anyway, winter is not the time to visit!

Here's the monument at the site:

No comments: