Sunday, February 20, 2011

Signs of Spring

We went from 60+ degree weather to today in the 20s. So spring seems a long way away. Years ago, New York magazine had a piece about how it's sometimes difficult to spot the seasons changing in an urban environment and asked readers to submit signs other than sprouting crocuses or autumn leaves to how we know the seasons are changing.

Friday night I ordered dinner in from the local diner, and the delivery guy showed up in a t-shirt. Aha! Spring must be coming, I thought.

Meanwhile, back to real signs, Fran spotted these crocuses
Fran writes, "Aha, crocus are a-bloomin' in DC -- spotted Sun afternoon on Fessenden Ave bet Connecticut and Wisconsin."

About these two guys, Fran writes, "Here are two little guys pushing through. Spotted same day, same street."

Mary replied, "I have daffodils about 4 inches tall and hyacinths about an inch out of the ground in a container. I haven't seen my of my crocuses yet but any minute now!"

As for us New Yorkers, we're supposed to have snow or a "wintry mix" tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

Well, we're in a winter storm warning tonight til early morning, rain turning to sleet/freezing rain and snow, accumulating 2-5 inches depending on how far north you are. I remember long winters in PA as a kid and when you'd see bare ground and bulbs poking through, you knew spring was on it's way even though you also knew there'd be more snow. I hope it doesn't last long this time. I'll send pictures when my crocuses are showing