Monday, February 14, 2011

Two Unrelated Anecdotes

Over the weekend, I caught a few minutes of Family Feud where the question was, "If animals could talk, which animal would have the most complaints about humans?"

The first two answers were dog (#1) and cat, but the third one was 'mouse.' I wasn't expecting that but I keep thinking of my still-alive mouse in the glue trap and what it would have said to me such as:

Really?
WTF?
You've got to be joking!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My second anecdote was an email exchange I had today with a girl I went to kindergarten with and we were reminiscing about grade school Valentine's Days. And how we'd exchange the "dime store" Valentines and the rule was you had to give one to everyone in the class.

In second grade, there was this kid, this total outcast, this untouchable, just this total reject and how it was difficult choosing the Valentine I liked the least but I dutifully gave him a Valentine. I couldn't remember his name and only had the vaguest memory of him because he later moved away.

My friend didn't know who I meant, and I responded that I remember him always with crud around his mouth -- like dried oatmeal.

She instantly responded with this kid's name, then Googled him, and we believe he is today a poet! We looked at his books on Amazon.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Goes to show... You can't tell a book by it's cover :).