Sunday, February 20, 2011

Urban Life

Maybe this isn't just urban -- but in my hallway, I have very high ceilings -- I think 11 or 12 feet, and there is one lighting fixture that I can't change without the use of a ladder. I am careful with that fixture in that I never leave it on for long in order to prolong the life of the bulb.

In the meantime, for several years, there was the carcass of a giant waterbug in the bottom of white glass globe (that is the fixture. No one would ever notice it -- you'd have to stop right underneath it and then look up, but of course that's just what I did and I hated it but it was never worth getting the super with a ladder to fix it.

Then the light bulb finally went out, and my handyman said he'd borrow a ladder. I pointed out the bug, as warning, and he took it down, dumped the bug, cleaned the globe, and I feel like a new woman.

I didn't think I'd mentioned this to anyone, but I guess I did to a friend who has just written me:

By the way, I wanted to tell you that you inspired me to figure out how to remove the frosted glass panel covering the florescent light on the back of the stove, where a large dead spider corpse has lain for many a year. Now he rests in peace and I don't have to look at his shadow anymore while I am cooking!


So glad I'm inspiring!

No comments: