Friday, March 18, 2011

Guilty Pleasure


I should be embarrassed to admit this, and I am, but I find myself oddly fascinated by this television show called Wipeout. I believe it originated in Japan, but the gist of the show is contestants going through this obstacle course on steroids. (The obstacle course is on steroids, not the contestants.) It's this giant cartoon-like track. When they fall off, or are knocked off, part of the course, they fall into cold water.

Two cheesy male hosts comment throughout, while a third host, a female, makes mostly dumb sexual comments about the mostly male contestants. The hosts give the contestants nicknames. Twenty-four people start, and it gets down to three people for the final.

What surprises me is that I don't typically like seeing people struggle or get hurt, but this whole show is about that. Oh, and the soundtrack is enhanced with grunts like in the first photo above.

Normally this is the point where I would suggest that you watch this show too -- but you no doubt have a better use of  your time. It's the kind of show where you stop to watch when you're flipping around the dial and find yourself mesmerized by the sheer stupidity (and entertainment value) of it.

1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

I love that show, and I'm puzzled for the same reasons you are. It also looks impossible to me and I wonder why people try it.