Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I really don't like St. Patrick's Day

I groaned when I saw that tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. That's because the big NYC parade ends on 86th Street and I live on 87th Street so when I go out on St. Patrick's Day every drunk teenager from New Jersey is puking on top of the smashed green glass of a Heineken bottle.

The litter, broken glass, papers, barf are everywhere. They'll still be there on Friday.

One year I had to run out to a quickie printer at about 10 pm for handouts I needed for a seminar and I had to work my way through a sea of drunks. I remember the printer saying to me, "Look out for the bagpipers; they're dangerous." Which sort of made me laugh inside.

Another year, I was on a bus and saw this good looking man, but he was wearing a little green plastic derby and it so turned me off, so I also still think about whether I could love a man who wanted to wear a green plastic derby in public.

There are mobs outside every Irish bar -- can't imagine waiting to get into a bar -- cops, firemen, all in uniform, mostly drunk -- it's just a scene I don't enjoy. Sometimes I wish I could buy a "Kiss me, I'm Irish" pin and go with the flow, but I can't. Tomorrow is my day that I go out for lunch, but I'll be staying in lest there be roving bands of dangerous bagpipers in the area.

Oh, and I don't like corned beef and cabbage either.

6 comments:

Fran said...

I believe in you and am certain you wouldn't couldn't love a man who wore a derby, green or otherwise, in public or private. You are not alone, I share your dislike the day and the human behavior that comes with it. As a member of my high school band (Brooklyn NY) I had to march in St. Patty's Parade on Fifth Ave ...what went on in streets and trains (rowdy drunk teens and adults throwing up on seats, sprawling on luggage racks) turned me off forever more. Would someone please explain the appeal of making a disgusting spectacle of yourself -- and being proud of it?

Anonymous said...

ALL parades now end on 79th street. That doesn't mean that all the bars around here won't be overflowing with uniformed men. Actually, I never liked any parade in this tiny city. For the record, I am making corned beef, cabbage and potatoes today. It is my first attempt. My mother always made it on St. Patrick's Day even though there is not one drop of Irish blood in me. Usually I order it from the diner but I thought I would try it myself. Come on over and have some...at your own risk of course!:-)

Mary Mc said...

I LOVE corned beef and cabbage. I don't like drunks and crowds, and especially crowds of drunks, so I'm with you there...

Pat said...

So you go to Stephanie's and have corned beef and cabbage and Fran and I will stay inside and order a pizza!

Anonymous said...

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Anonymous said...

Mary, you are always invited.....Stephanie