Friday, March 11, 2011

Mystery at the Funeral Home

Some of you know there's a funeral home on my block, and over the years have seen some comings and goings of bodies and seen hundreds (probably thousands) of mourners. I only saw people crying twice -- and both times it was for young people. In fact, one day I was sitting on my steps when a funeral let out and everyone was carrying a red rose and this woman walked by me and gave me her rose, saying she didn't want it.

Anyway, today when I went out, there were two cop cars along with a station wagon from the Medical Examiner's Office parked out front. It reminded me of a TV show. When I was coming back, the cop cars were gone and there was a hearse with the back door open and inside was a pine box. Wow, pine boxes really are no frills.

It makes me wonder what's up -- why a body would be taken to a funeral home rather than to a city morgue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Think that if a person dies at home of old age or is expected to die from an uncureable disease that can go straight to a funeral home but a death certificate has to be signed first. I think this is true but don't quote me. When my mother passed away in rehab we called Nagel's and they came right away to pick her up. Too morbid for me...

How are you feeling?