Friday, March 18, 2011

Sports Metaphor

In the early days of feminism, when women were entering higher executive levels in the workplace, we were told that men speak in sports metaphors in business and if we want to be successful, we need to understand what those metaphors mean.

I never had a problem like that; knew sports for the most part, hockey in particular so I could get by.

Had forgotten about that until today when I was sent one in an email and had never heard it.

A colleague was quoted in USA Today, and I sent him an email congratulating him, saying he was now famous, good for you! etc.

His response:

Thanks! Still trying to punch above our weight :)


What?

Ok, so I figured it was boxing and he was making a little self-deprecating comment of being a lightweight fighting a heavyweight.

I mentioned this to a client who knew the term, said he uses the term, and said most of the time it's used as a criticism. However it can be used as a positive to make the point of how hard someone is trying.

No comments: