Monday, May 30, 2011

Decluttering Email

I took advantage of the slow pace of today and went through a bunch of email and unsubbed from about 15 lists. You know how it happens. You buy one thing at a site and end up getting emails from them every day. Same with political sites, charitable sites and all the miscellaneous ones you pick up along the way.  
This isn't the first time I've done this, of course, and I always think of the process as a starfish. The starfish can lose one of its arms and it will grow back -- and so do commercial/political emails -- they just come back again in a few weeks' time. There are stores/sites that I would like an occasional email from, but I remind myself I can always go to that site.

 As I was unsubbing I wondered about how I put up with some of these emails for as long as I did -- I think it's just too easy to delete so there's not much effort involved. I do pay attention when I'm at a new site to check off that I DON'T want to receive perky periodic updates from them and their always so-called valued partners.


1 comment:

Barbara said...

Recently when opting out, I was given a choice of "Send me one email per week" or "Unsubscribe to all future emails." That was a nice choice! Just think how many lists I would happily sign up for if it were only one email a month! Alas, I don't think it's the way the world is, so I'll continue to click UNSUBSCRIBE.