Saturday, May 28, 2011

Melissa's Day

Melissa was telling me yesterday how she has joined a group which helps people who are living under highway over passes and under bridges where she lives in Texas by bringing food, clothes, etc. She said one time when she was there with the people, someone drove by cursing them out and yelling that those people should get an "effing" job, but he didn't say effing. We couldn't understand being that heartless -- there but for the grace of God -- I have never been close to being homeless, but I know "normal" people who have been a thread away from it.

I was telling her about three homeless guys sitting on the steps of my building one day a few weeks back and when I came outside I sat with them for a while and talked, and I was really struck (again) just like I was with the crackhead who helped me with my mouse how very "normal" these people are. If I was sitting next to these guys in an airplane gate or at a restaurant, I wouldn't wonder what they were doing there.

Anyway, Melissa visited these people today and gave me permission to share this with you:

Hope you are having a relaxing weekend. We went to visit our ‘Friends without Homes’ this morning… took them breakfast tacos and we had three tables of clothes, food and toiletries….. we gave them plastic bags and let them pick whatever they wanted. There were three women and probably ten men… they were so grateful… we joked about it being like Wal-mart. One guy from a church brought a guitar and played three songs (including Amazing Grace)… and a female pastor gave a short message of hope and offered communion… it was really amazing… every single one of them went forward (and there was literally zero pressure to do so). Then we even fed some bread to the ducks in the river. It was pretty cool.. and really not what I would consider a ‘religious’ event. They were just so laid back… one guy who has been one of the main ones has even found a job and he still lives under the bridge, but he says he is getting back on his feet. It was a good experience and I came away thinking… that regardless of what I personally believe or do not believe, whatever it is that gives someone hope is a good thing.

Pat again: I've read the last thought about hope a dozen times, and it kept resonating with me -- and then I just now realized that it reminds me of the end of Shawshank Redemption -- there's some line about hope in there that I love.

I checked Google and found it.

Here are Red's words at the end of the movie. I have seen and heard this probably two dozen times, and I never get tired of it. In fact, when I see that the movie is on, I don't watch the whole thing, but I do make note of the end and turn in five minutes before so I can see this scene again where Red narrates:

I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it is the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.



No comments: