Thursday, June 23, 2011

Deli Slicing

I just now read Stephanie's kvetch about how the deli guy can't slice the cheese thick. This is another pet peeve of mine, but I want the opposite. I typically buy 1/4 pound of sliced ham and I like it (less than) paper thin. I like it translucent so you have to handle it so gingerly since it will fall apart.

I arrived at this solution, which works most of the time. Instead of just saying "slice it thin," which is what everyone says, I make it a personal challenge and say, "Can you slice that as thin as you possibly can?" and it makes them pay more attention. I believe that micro-thin sliced deli meat is an artform and when I get it home and see it done the way I want it pleases me more than it should.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I said that I like my meats sliced thin also. In fact, I used to ask for shaved but I would get dirty looks with that (too much work). Danny just likes his cheese thick. Actually sliced deli cheese as opposed to packaged cheese is another kvetch of mine. If it is sliced too thin, it just sticks together and you cannot get it apart.

Of course, this is Stephanie