Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Neat Quote

I saw John Quinones of ABC on a TV show, pitching his TV show called "What would you do?" and some of you may have seen it -- it's a sort of Candid Camera where people act out ethical dilemmas and see how people react -- will they speak up in the face of something wrong or remain silent?

I don't regularly watch the show, but I've seen portions of it -- on this show I just saw, John spoke of an experiment where a teenager (actor) in a drug store asking an adult (not part of it) to buy him condoms. In another one, a teenager (actor) asks adults to buy beer for him and his friends. John Q said that more adults were willing to buy the beer (which I wouldn't ever do) vs the condoms (which I might have done.)

Anyway, in a clip they showed, there was a gay female couple with kids who were being berated by the waitress when she realizes the mothers are gay.

One man who hears this mother gets up and leaves, but then he comes back and he hands a note to the daughter who reads it aloud, and it's the most beautiful note of support and it ends with this quote from Martin Luther King which I'd never heard, but looked up:

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

I was so struck by that, and it reminded me of a time, now 25 years ago, but it still smarts when someone was stalking/harrassing me and I finally identified who it was (he was doing the harassing anonymously) and this other fellow at work knew what that this guy had put me through the wringer, and he continued to socialize with him as this great guy. When I confronted him about it, like "knowing what X did to me, how could you socialize with him?" and this fellow (my friend, or so I thought) said, "Yeah, but he didn't do anything to me."

Here's the clip, and the note is read at the 3:45 mark. You can't hear this note without tears coming to your eyes.


1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

You were right, the tears came. The men who stood up to her surprised me, telling me I must have some stereotypes of who is courageous and who is not.