Sunday, June 5, 2011

On the Road Again -- Day one of six

Headed to Ohio, and am now safe and sound in Pennsylvania near the Ohio border. Not much to report other than I really like my rental car which is a Kia Sport. I like it because it's comfortable and also it came with Sirius satellite radio which really makes the miles fly by. Heard an interesting show called "American Voices" which was an NPR-style show and first the host (former NJ Senator Bill Bradley) plays four voices and you have to guess who it is. I got the two men, not the two women. It was Dwight Eisenhower and Alan Alda. The women were Alice Walker (whom I don't think I've ever heard) and Cokie Roberts (who sounded familiar but didn't guess it.)

Then there was this wonderful story about this high-powered business exec who traveled a lot and wondered what happened to the bar of hotel soap which he used once. I have wondered the same thing. Turns out that a good old bar of soap can stop so many diseases -- and that many third world kids never get a bath with soap. This man also pointed out that third world children's bodies expend so much energy fighting off disease (of course, I'm simplifying this) that they turn out physically smaller and mentally weaker.

So he started slowly with one hotel -- putting a bin in the housekeeping room where hotel maids would drop the used soap and it just grew. He found a way to easily sterilize the soap and reshape it, quit his corporate job and now this is his full time job and he has given away 7 million bars of soap worldwide. The group is called "Clean the World."

And here's my favorite sign of the day:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Safe journey.........

Amy Laboda said...

You win the prize for sign of the day. And they say nothing in life is free.