Friday, June 24, 2011

What I'm Reading: Nothing Daunted


I hadn't really paid attention to the title of this book -- of course, I knew what both words meant and they sort of made sense together. As I was googling it just now to find an image of the cover, I noted that it is an idiom in Britain and Australia... I don't think it is here -- If it is, I don't think I've ever heard it.

nothing daunted (British & Australian formal)

if you continue to do something, nothing daunted, you are not worried about problems you have with it:  I've had three letters of refusal but, nothing daunted, I'm writing a fourth application.

Anyway, this is a true story about two young society women who decide to have an adventure and travel from New York to Colorado to teach school. This is in 1916 and their year in Colorado (culture shock) was pieced together through saved letters home. It's been quite well reviewed -- written by the great niece of one of the women.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

This sounds like a goos read... And I can use the phrase too!