Monday, August 1, 2011

Day Eleven: Home Sweet Home

Home at last! Had an easy trip in from Allentown, PA.

Small excitement last night. I was lying on the bed, sorting through email, with Shark Week on the Discovery Channel in the background when I heard a pounding on my door. I ignored it, thinking it's nobody I know and then a minute or so later, more pounding, very insistent. So I got up, used the security bar thing to open the door a crack and there was a uniformed security guard answering a complaint from my neighbor that a couple was having a fight.

I opened the door all the way and he could clearly see I was alone. I said, "I'm on my computer watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel." I believe that's "TMI" or too much information. I even said he could come in and see for himself. I'm such a pushover for anyone in authority. He was stumped, apologized to me, said it was an elderly couple who complained and I said that even though the TV was not on loud, I'd turn it down. I felt like I was in an episode of "Cops."

This morning, I went through a drive-thru Dunkin Donuts and got a big iced latte and a doughnut, had an easy drive into Manhattan, no traffic. Returned the car, got a cab easily and came home. Back to work. I need to get some groceries, but not today.

There's no place like home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Close your eyes Dorothy and click your heels three times and repeat...THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

fran said...

Welcome home, Dorothy.
Enjoyed following your to and from Oshkosh, although I saw no mention of pie-eating.
Love, Auntie Em, who begs you to please please NEVER fully open your hotel door to anyone unless you first confirm with security/front desk that a hotel employee has indeed been dispatched to your room. Please.

Melissa said...

Very good advise Fran!

Pat said...

I thought of that actually with the security guard -- all the "true crime" books I've read where the killer dresses up like a security guard. Years ago, when I was in my 20s, and had recently moved to New York, I was awakened by a pounding on my apartment door -- this was 2:30 in the morning -- and the man was yelling "Con Edison, this is an emergency -- gas leak!!" and I had been in a sound sleep and I opened the door. That still scares me when I think about it. Luckily it was really a Con Ed guy. I read a murder mystery novel about a serial killer who would follow women into dry cleaners, find their address and then knock on their doors a few days later holding dry cleaning and the women would open the door -- he did the same thing disguised as a florist. So I should know better. At least for the first pounding, I let the safety latch on.