Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Everything old is new again

I don't know who said that, but I have recently noticed two old things come back. When I was out today, I was surprised (again) by the number of people carrying umbrellas against the sun. I remember when women carrying parasols was some quaint 19th century tradition. It will be interesting to see if soon there are fashion umbrellas for the sun, and not just adapting your rain umbrella.

The second old thing, now new again, is lay away at stores -- when the store holds the merchandise and you have a certain amount of time to pay it off. I bought some clothes once on lay away -- I think right after I graduated from college, before I had any credit, and I do remember paying it off bit by bit. Now with people having bad credit, no credit, having exceded their credit limit, lay away is back again. In some way, it's probably a better system than just using plastic.

No comments: