Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Morning Report

Irene has now been downgraded to a tropical storm. It's going on 9:30 and check out time is 11, and I just called the front desk and begrudgingly got an extra hour. Right now, subject to change, is that I'll leave here at 12 noon, go have a leisurely lunch and then drive to NYC which is two hours away. So far, I haven't heard anything that makes this a bad plan, but I want to hear which bridges and tunnels are open. The only closing I've heard is that one tube of the Holland Tunnel (which is downtown in the flood zone and I don't use anyway) is closed. According to the news, both the Pennsylvania and New Jersey turnpikes are open.  The main problem seem to be rivers/streams flooding and people trying to drive through standing water.

I have to be a bit of a crab and say the media makes me crazy in that they love showing the worst possible scenarios. Now that there's no dramatic footage from New York, they are showing things from last night. Speaking of which, it was raining so hard last night and I kept looking at my window because it sounded as if the water was coming in, which it was, all over the window sill, the top of the heating unit/air conditioner too. This morning it's dry, well, dry-er.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ch. 1 says the Lincoln Tunnel is open. Northbound Holland Tunnel is closed. They are diverting traffic to the Lincoln. They also said that driving is treacherous. The rain has stopped and it is very windy. Irene has gone!

Pat said...

Yeah, the news people in NYC are trying to find terrible things to show, but now that it's stopped raining, it's not quite so dramatic. I'm itching to get going, am ready to go, but I am going to wait as I said. I wonder about the GW Bridge.