Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bad Start to the Day

I didn't sleep well last night, and I awoke to some swelling in my jaw which the dentist had warned me about -- that it might happen today and not to be alarmed. So I get in the shower and I'm waiting for the hot water to make itself evident until I realized there is no hot water. Luckily I got under the water when it was a neutral temperature but by the time it was over the water was really cold.

So I'm still trying to be perky -- and I had yet to call the West Virginia number to get the amount of my fine. The cop had told me to call on Monday and I didn't. I didn't Tuesday or Wednesday, and I looked at the ticket last night to see the due date and I couldn't read the handwriting, but I could see it said "September" something so I knew I was OK.

I call and the woman was very nice, spoke very simply and slowly about how to respond to the ticket, but then she told me the amount:

$165.80

In my head, I was thinking it would be in the $50 to $75 range. Bear in mind, that's the amount for 4 miles per hour over the limit. Granted, I was driving much faster than that and I acknowledge that I have exceeded the speed limit dozens of times so I guess this is my overall punishment, but I truly did not expect it to be this much.

I asked her about the amount, said (nicely) I thought that was excessive. Well, it turns out that this is not just the fine, but it's also "court costs." I said, "What court costs?" -- I'm mailing in the check; there's no trial. So she didn't know the answer to that and I realized that nothing I say or want to say really matters. She tells me I have 40 days to send in the check and I said, "Ok, I know it can't be changed, but I just want to say that I think this amount is excessive."

Much to my surprise, she said, "I do too." Which really made me feel better (seriously) -- better than if she had given me some sort of public safety lecture. And then, I hung up the phone and I admit I got teary eyed (again). I was later thinking I hate this out of control feeling that money slips through my hands... Today is my worst day for money as my mortgage, maintenance and health insurance are all due today. Then I had the $2500 from Tuesday and now a total waste of money of $165.80.  It's an expensive week.

Just to be totally ironic, today is also the day my cleaning woman comes and I eat in a restaurant, reading magazines, while someone cleans my house. Now THAT'S a good use of my hard-earned cash!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's not any where near "it could be as low as one dollar" officer!

Stephanie