Saturday, September 10, 2011

Orchids and Onions

Orchids to well-behaved children. Yesterday my helper was here, and I had forgotten that I had said it was OK for her to bring her daughter who is in second grade and only had a half-day of school. She is named Marilyn (same name as her mother). She was into HELPING. Big time. I guess kids go through that stage, and she took all her little jobs so seriously.

At one point, her mother was folding laundry, and Marilyn would take each individual item downstairs as soon as it was folded.  I found a job for her, which was I had just ordered a box of K-cups (those individual coffee servings) and I opened the box, and they come in individual boxes so she opened each one, put the coffees in a basket, put the boxes in recycling. And she would take each K-cup out one at a time, and then when the box was empty, she'd dramatically hold the box up to her eye to make sure that particular box was empty. Then she'd shake it to see if anything else came out, just to be sure. I loved just watching her.

When they were leaving, she had warmed up to me and wanted to show me each of her school books -- including one for handwriting and how she was going to learn script/cursive. She really is a sweet little girl.

And onions (I think for the second time) to my friends at Citibank. I had gotten a new Citicard (ATM card) and I had activated it and was just skimming the paper in advance of shredding it. There was a list of Security Tips which I decided to read and it's the typical "Don't write your PIN on the card" and "Take your receipt with you."

But then there was this gem... and I quote... "Do not permit any unknown person to enter the ATM lobby after regular banking hours."

Oh really, Citibank? How do you suggest I stop them?

In New York City (and I suspect elsewhere), people would not take kindly to my holding the door shut so they can't come in. I'd look like a damn crazy person. Talk about a way to GET hurt.

^^^^^^^^^^
Later Update: I mentioned this tip in a phone conversation today, and the person said, "I bet they mean that you don't let anyone in, meaning walk in after you or open the door for someone who can't get in." Just like you don't let someone follow you into an apartment building if you've been buzzed in. That very well may be what they meant, but if that's the case, it should have been worded more clearly.

No comments: