Sunday, October 16, 2011

Still Learning

I know other people face this, because I've talked to you about this in the past, but I have been procrastinating about preparing this certain invoice for weeks, literally. Weeks. Weeks!

Just now, I made it my "must do above all else" for today. I set a timer for 15 minutes as an encouragement to "just do it" and I did the invoice, emailed it and picked up the timer to see it still had 4 minutes and 49 seconds on it. Why? Why? Why do I do this to myself? Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

I know I do 1000 things on time, but every so often, I let something like this wear me down and wear me out.

Moving on...

Ok, so on happier notes, last night I watched "The Conspirator" which is about the trial of the conspirators of the Lincoln assasination, centering on Mary Surratt, the mother of one of the conspirators, who ended up getting hanged. It's the first film from a new production company Robert Redford has created to make feature movies from American historical events. It's quite good, easy to get into, really captures the times, and a good story -- basically a court room drama.

I only recognized one of the actors in it so their characters come through, rather than thinking this is x movie star playing this character.

The man who defended Mary Surratt became so unpopular (similar to someone today defending Al Quaida) that at the end it said he left the law and became the first city editor of the newly-formed Washington Post.

That's my rambling about the movie... here's what Netflix says:

Robert Redford directs this gripping historical drama that follows the efforts of young lawyer Frederick Aiken (James McAvoy) as he defends Mary Surratt (Robin Wright Penn), a Confederate sympathizer accused of conspiring to assassinate Abraham Lincoln. Realizing that Surratt may in fact be innocent, Aiken defies public opinion and risks everything to get her acquitted. The stellar cast also includes Tom Wilkinson, Kevin Kline and Alexis Bledel.



Can't say I recognized any of these people except Tom Wilkinson, whom I really like. Realize that I know Robin Penn Warren from Forrest Gump, and still think of her as young... in this, she plays Mary Surratt who is older - -  funny how people age in 20 years!

2 comments:

Mary Mc said...

How was Kevin Kline? I always like him but I think of him as funny/quirky.

Pat said...

I couldn't even tell you which part he played. This was a real historical drama so they were disguised somewhat with period hair and clothes. Just went to look, and Kline plays Secretary Stanton, but I have to say I didn't notice him. Wondered where it was filmed, and found it is was in Savannah. Could have been DC though.