Sunday, January 29, 2012

Just Doesn't Hold Up

Today I was being a semi-slug and in the hope of finding something mindless and entertaining on TV, I made it way past the normnal stations up to the weird stations including a relatively new one called Antenna which seems to be like TV Land in running old programming, old sitcoms, etc. Don't think I've ever actually watched anything on this channel.

So what I came upon was the Monkees... of course, women of a certain age will remember these guys:


I loved this show. In fact, I still remember it was on Tuesdays at 7:30. Really was a huge fan and just couldn't wait for Tuesday to roll around so I could see another episode. I don't think I've seen it, except in maybe short clips since the 1960s, so I was a bit excited to see it today.

Wow. Does this show ever not hold up! How can I Love Lucy still be funny after 50 years? (I was watching a few minutes of that too when she was about to go to the hospital to give birth to Little Ricky.) I am sad to say I found the Monkees silly, not in a good way, and it embarrassed me to see the little one -- Davy Jones crooning with his eyes closed when I used to think he was just about the coolest thing around. Maybe we can't go home again, at least not to some old TV shows.

2 comments:

Mary Mc said...

My mom LOVED this show! I think we liked it because it was fast and had the kind of effects the old Beatles movies had so it was kind of fresh. Now of course, that word wouldn't apply anymore. It was a cute show but I guess you wouldn't say it was clever.

Barbara said...

Although I can sing many lines of the "Hey hey we're the Monkees" theme song, the show that I Loved Too Much was a few years later -- The Partridge Family -- the most embarrassingly bad show ever. I thought David Cassidy was a dreamboat. (I think we must cut ourselves some slack for being adolescent females.)