Friday, March 16, 2012

Emotional Attachment/Emotional Detachment

This past week, I was the recipient of a snippy (or so I thought) business email scolding me (or so I thought) which I forwarded to my colleague whom we shall call A for confidentiality. "A" said that the buck stopped with her and she'd answer it. I wanted to reply in a sophisticatedly snippy way. I really did. I am not a good receiver of scolding. "A" answered the email in an extremely gracious way, far more gracious that I would have or could have been or should have been, but I couldn't have written what she did unless I really, really, really had to.

As I read A's email, I sort of snorted air through my nostrils. Even while totally acknowledging that A's email was the way to go, I still didn't want to read it. I realized, however, that A did not have the emotional involvement I've had with the scolder and it *is* easier without that component. I've been on A's side of things too.

Another situation occurred today when my friend B recycled a book to me. When B saw it didn't fit in my purse, she offered me her little tote bag. We went back and forth with my saying I didn't want to take her tote bag and B saying she didn't really care about the tote bag. Finally B said that the tote bag is from her company and she wasn't feeling all that positive about her company so she truly didn't want the bag.

Aha. That I could understand.

So I was admiring my new little orange tote bag (and the book -- Swamplandia, very well reviewed) and feel as if I came out ahead -- although now I'm thinking that if my friend B doesn't like the company then I shouldn't either -- so if I give any of you something in a little orange tote bag, just take it and recycle it to the next person.

And yes, their names really do begin A and B, not a coincidence.

No comments: