Friday, March 9, 2012

Thursday in Dallas

Anonymously speaking, a colleague joined me for room service dinner so we could put our feet up and talk about everyone and not have to be polite and she ordered the Waldorf Burger and liked it. I went with the grilled cheese.

Tomorrow, I may have an opportunity to interview someone interesting -- a Coast Guard rescue swimmer. I think these rescue swimmers are so amazing -- jumping out of a helicopter into the stormy ocean with 20 foot waves to save someone. Wow. While talking to some Coast Guard women today, I asked if there were any female rescue swimmers and there are and they are going to see if they can send one my way. I don't know what I want to ask her -- are you afraid of anything? If jumping from a helicopter into a 20 foot wave during a hurricane doesn't scare you, what the hell could?

I interviewed three Coast Guard flight crew today, and they are so lovely and strong -- wearing their flight suits with their hair pulled back into buns, no make up -- someone called them "fierce" in a good way and they are. Looking at them, I wonder how I would have been different if I had role models like these women as a young girl. I think I was stuck with Florence Nightengale, Sacajewea and Madame Curie -- no one actually living -- but I'm certain these women were fierce in their time as well. And at least I had someone.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I feel silly saying this because these days we seem to be around the same age, BUT... there was a time that YOU were my role model!

Barbara said...

(And a great one, too!)

Pat said...

thank you for saying so.