Wednesday, June 13, 2012

New-Fangled Banking

Just saw a commercial that my bank, Citibank, has started a program whereby you can photograph a check on your smartphone and make a deposit that way. I was thinking "then what do you do with the check? Do you just throw it away? How can they stop you from depositing it again or in a different bank?"

So I was thinking about of all the way life has changed in the past 50 years, banking surely is one of them. It doesn't seem like that long ago where I spent lunch hours on payday standing on line to deposit my paycheck. Or running to get to the bank by 3 pm. Nowadays to not be able to do any banking after 3 pm on weekdays and all weekend seems preposterous.

I believe Citibank was among the first to have ATMs and there were two of them originally in NY, one about 10 blocks from where I lived. What a miracle they were.

The latest change that impacted me was no more deposit slips at Citibank. I had a bunch of them -- some I actually ordered last time I ordered checks, and then I realized I could just shred them all. Now the deposited check appears on your receipt.

It makes me realize that life has gotten easier in a whole lot of ways.

No comments: