Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bad Tuesday

With the exception of my dinner with Barbara at Gracie's Corner (she got the hot turkey sandwich and I got the meat loaf), this was not a good day. Not for work; not for anything and it's ending on the same crappy note. About 10::15, the lights dimmed and then everything but the overhead light in my bedroom went off.

My television  has power, but the cable is out. No air conditioning.

Just for that nice ego boost, an upstairs neighbor was knocking on my door to see if I were all right. I can't help but think -- well, I know because of some things he said -- that he was "checking on elderly people" as the news tells you to do. I don't want to be the old lady neighbors have to check on. I am trying to see it as a nice thing -- that if I did need help, I could ask him for it.

Called Time Warner just to annoy myself and had a lovely chat with an effing machine who giggles when she assures me that their "technicians are working as fast as they can to restore service."

According to my upstairs neighbor, this is caused not by today's 97 degree heat, but by someone screwing up and cutting the wrong thing on the Second Avenue subway that's being built.

In a few minutes, I am going to have to get up and open a window. I was hoping power/cable might be restored before I start to slowly roast.

Looking on the bright side, I'm glad I don't have to do any laundry for Oshkosh. To have to lug clothes to a laundromat would make me want to jump off the George Washington Bridge.

Meanwhile, earlier today, a woman got stabbed by a crazy person at 86th and Second -- two blocks away. The crazy person got away, and I did notice a large police presence in my neighborhood tonight. Well, by that I mean, I noticed police walking and in cars which we don't normally see at all. I don't worry about crime, but I do worry about crazy people acting crazy.

So this old lady is safe and sound. I haven't given away my social security number to a telemarketer or believed I've won the Irish Sweepstakes and sent a check for thousands in order to claim my winnings, but that just might happen any day now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been told to go through the door first when I am holding it for someone I would consider older then me. I know the feeling. Sometimes in Fl. I feel like a baby. My mother used to say....go to Florida and die!...It is truly for OLD people like me! My brother says there is more things to do where he lives on the east coast. I do love my house and my pool but it is very quiet here. Did you get your power back yet? That is dreadful when it is so hot.

Good luck! Stephanie