Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bits and Pieces

No grand adventures these past few days so here are some miscellaneous items.

I usually get groceries on Saturday and didn't this week because it was so hot. I have to say I've enjoyed eating out of the cupboards -- it's sort of game to see how many meals are there. It's silly to confess, but I sometimes wonder how many days of food I actually have -- how long I could survive. I didn't really have this as a fear until 9/11 when I had cleaned out my refrigerator and cupboards two days before, was gone that Monday on a business trip, ordered pizza when I got home, and then Tuesday it was 9/11.

I often think of college days when we had those little refrigerators in our rooms and it was either feast or famine. We'd still look inside hoping that somehow a bunch of food would have miraculously appeared and not just that half-empty lone can of Hershey's chocolate syrup

I sometimes see those "doomsday preppers" on tv who have 5 years of canned food or whatever and I'm way far from that thinking.  On cop (reality) shows, I've often seen the cops/child protective services look in the refrigerator to see if there's adequate appropriate food for the children and I thought of that today as my refrigerator emptied out. There's still milk and orange juice so I don't think I'll turn myself in to CPS yet.

If 70 is the new retirement age, I don't want to wait that long.

Today it's been 75 and I've had the windows open, a nice break from constant a/c.

Ray the handyman emerged over the weekend and worked for about 5 hours in my garden, came back for another hour on Sunday and is coming back one more time so hopefully I'll have some photos soon. Everything is growing.

No comments: