Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday the 13th



It's Friday the 13th, the only one (I think I read) for this entire year so let's talk about superstitions. My mother had one which was it's bad luck to put shoes on a table -- so if I'd be at her house and go shoe shopping, I'd come home to show her and put them on the kitchen table and she'd go nuts.

Not that I have that much opportunity, but I would hesitate about opening an umbrella inside, although I have done that when I've brought one home wet and stuck it open in the bathtub to dry off.

I do the throw over the shoulder if I spill salt but that's more habit than superstition.

Don't know if this is spiritual or superstitious, or a combination of the two, but I am careful what words I send out into the universe. I shudder sometimes when I hear the things that people say about some horrible fate that may befall them.

Don't care about broken mirrors, walking under ladders, black cats, the number 13.

When I used to go to hockey games, many fans have superstitions. There was a guy who sat near us and would come to games with his underwear on inside out as he thought that brought good luck.

The only other one I guess I have is that if possible, I will pick up a penny on the street thinking that if I pick it up I'll never be in a desperate situation where I need one.

I've had two Latin American cleaning women, both of whom had the superstition of your never putting your purse on the floor, saying that action "disrespects" your money -- and somehow I've adapted that as a habit -- to NOT put my purse on the floor in my own home.

As a little girl, I remember my mother would put a penny in a wallet or purse if she gave one as a gift -- wonder if people still do that. Of course, the reason was so that the person would never be without money.

Hmmmm... can't think of any others. How about you?

8 comments:

Mary Jones said...

My grandmother said it was bad luck to turn that calendar over to the next month before it was that month. So I never flip my calendar until the first or after.

See you in OSH soon!

Pat said...

Yeah, but if you have a deadline on July 1, you better know about it before June 30!

Mary MC said...

I thought of two - one is still a habit to this day. I have to consciously try to step on a crack when walking down the sidewalk. The second one is knocking on wood to ensure the right outcome. I don't know why these things stay with us!

Pat said...

I thought you were supposed to avoid the crack -- step on the crack; you break your mother's back. I do the knock on wood as well; had forgotten about that one, but these days I say "knock on plastic" or whatever surface may be nearby.

Mary Mc said...

I meant i consciously step on the crack to break myself of the superstition

Melissa said...

I always heard to avoid the cracks! I've never been particularly superstitious... So I can't think of any others. I have heard that some hotels do not have a thirteenth floor because many people do not want to stay on it!

Pat said...

Many office buildings don't have 13th floors either. Next time you're in a building elevator, look at the buttons and there's often not a 13.

Pat said...

Many office buildings don't have 13th floors either. Next time you're in a building elevator, look at the buttons and there's often not a 13.