Monday, July 23, 2012

RIP Weekly Reader

Funny that I had just mentioned Weekly Reader yesterday. Today I heard on the news that it's being discontinued. I remember Weekly Reader coming out weekly (duh) and having some "current events" item on the front page. I think there were puzzles, etc on the back page. I remember it as four pages long.
this issue is from 1957
On the news, a man who had been an editor at Weekly Reader was being interviewed and he said every time he told people what he did, the now-adult would squeal, "I loved Weekly Reader" -- he said always the same enthusiastic tone of voice. He was sorry to see it go.

Sad that a humble 4page newsprint can't compete with the Internet, Smartphones, etc. but it did make us good readers. And I have to say it did make me interested in reading a newspaper and knowing about current events.

2 comments:

Mary Mc said...

I loved Weekly Reader!

Barbara said...

I also saw the news item that they were closing down, and I was going to email you -- I thought it one of those interesting coincidences that you had just mentioned it on your blog! My sister and I both liked Weekly Reader, but we didn't get it often in Catholic school.