Saturday, September 15, 2012

Esconced in Allentown

I have gotten into the habit of staying at this particular Red Roof Inn in Allentown, PA, which is about 90 minutes to two hours out of NY. I arrived here at 6 pm, so I clearly could have continued home, but I remind myself that I will not be awarded the Distinguished Medal of Martyrdomly Service for pushing that hard. I'd been driving since 9:30 and I had a slight headache and my knees hurt from being in the same position for hours... so it's nice to stop, regroup, relax. It gives me a chance to clean out the car in a relaxed way.

I think Barbara and I had talked about how rental car companies are looking for any excuse to charge you more and she either did get charged, or knew someone who got charged for returning the car in a way that they felt needed clearning so whereas I used to just leave the garbage in the car, now I'm more careful.

It was a beautiful day today -- really cool air, hot sun. Just can't get over how beautiful the early fall colors are -- especially the gold, rusts, sages.

On with the show:

This in my room #200 from last night. It was a gorgeous morning. When I was putting my suitcase in the trunk, this hotel maid came over to me, asked me if I were checking out and I said yes, and then she went on to say how she hoped I had a good night, and safe trip, and come back. They are particularly friendly here.

You can see how old this place is, but it really is comfortable. I was thinking how some people complain about thin sheets and towels, but I actually love the softness of sheets that have been washed 1000 times. Just like nightgowns -- I prefer the old ones that have no life left in them and they're just soft.


I pushed the limit last night getting to the hotel. I just didn't feel like stopping for gas. I was always safe in that every exit had gas, but I typically won't do that. I also felt OK about it since the low-fuel light hadn't come on yet. But with a rental car, you never know how much time you have left.

This is leaving the hotel. It's on this old road with old trees. Sort of odd, but very pretty.

Leaving the hotel. This road leads to the main highway.

First stop was to get gas where it was Coffee Appreciation Day. I thought that was EVERY day.

I always get a kick out of this sign, as if it's put here just for me. This is still in Ohio so I feel closer to home.

This bush caught my eye as I was going through Taco Bell drive-thru.

...where I tried their highly-advertised new offering: "Cantina Bowl." It's a layer of white rice and beans with lettuce on top and diced tomatoes and onions and then a scoop of guacamole. Pluses: Really pretty good, good flavor, interesting textures put together. Minuses: I hate when salad lettuce has too many stems and ribs. Plus the rice and beans are hot so it wilted some of the lettuce and made it slimy. Overall, I'd give it a B-. Also I want a few taco chips with it to scoop the guacamole which is weird to eat just on its own.

Fall wildflowers along the road.
When I checked in, the woman said they were busy tonight and I asked how come, and she said "dog show" and here is the car of my neighbor. When I was getting my suitcase out of the trunk, my neighbor came by with this huge, and I mean huge, great dane whom he was walking. Haven't seen any others.

This is my car and the view from my Red Roof Inn room.

TV, bathroom, view from the bed.

Same view from my door. That's my car.



And finally, the hotel amenity that I would rate LAST on my list of priorities. The toilet paper edge is folded into a triangle with a little Red Roof Inn sticker to hold it down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danny and I actually like the steak cantina bowl. It's not bad at all.

Pat said...

Stephanie reminds me that the Cantina Bowl comes in steak, chicken or vegetable. I don't know what the vegetable is, I leaned toward steak, and then went for the chicken. Despite a bit of slimy lettuce, I would definitely order it again.