Sunday, September 16, 2012

Home Again

Years ago, I had a woman boss who would say, "The laziest people in the world are the most efficient people in the world as they will figure out the easiest way to get something done." I've reminded myself of that through the years, and this morning was a good example.

I've stayed at this Red Roof Inn in Allentown half a dozen times, so I have my routine down to a science. I came upon each of these elements by accident -- was not seeking them out. Ok, here's what I do: Check out and then go get gas in one of the few remaining full-service gas stations in the country. As I said, I was not seeking a full-service, just used this station since it's the one closest to the hotel. As I relax, gas is put in my car.
What luxury!

Next stop: a drive-thru ATM -- again, was just searching the area one time for an ATM, saw a Wells Fargo sign on a building, drove in, it looked closed and then I saw the drive-thru ATM. Get cash.

Next stop: Drive-thru Dunkin Donuts for coffee and donut (French cruller this morning) and I'm on my way.

A few pictures:


This is Manhattan, crossing the George Washington Bridge. You see this on one side, and the palisades of New Jersey on the other side. And typically, the Palisades part has nothing modern in it and I always think I am having the same view as someone did 200 years ago.

Lower level of the GW Bridge heading into Manhattan. The circular thing hanging in the middle is the dividing line between New Jersey and New York.

One wrong turn crossing the bridge, and you are screwed big time -- you're headed off to the Bronx or somewhere you don't want to go so I'm always obsessive about being in the right lane -- and there's a choice of about five different highways and you don't have the luxury of thinking "hmmmm... which one do I want?" Added to that, it's rare (unlike elsewhere in the country) for NY/NJ drivers to cut you a break and let you cut in to their lane.  So you better be on your toes.

Dropped off the car, and any port in a storm to get home so I got into one of the mini-SUV type cabs. This photo doesn't really do the lack of leg room justice, but I swear if you had really big feet, you'd have to sit sideways.

Headed down 86th Street in my cab. Nice driver whom I tipped to carry my suitcase up the steps of my building.  And now I'm doing nothing but relax for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Amy Laboda said...

Relaxing is the best way to spend the new year. Happy New Year my friend. Talk to you soon!