Monday, September 24, 2012

Three Anecdotes

#1 The Best Sandwich: I had the best sandwich for lunch today. Started out with two pieces of Levy's "Everything" rye bread which means it has garlic, onions and caraway seeds. Put on a thin layer of brown mustard. I buy 1/4 lb of baked ham each week, enough for two sandwiches. I like the meat cut as thin as possible. I bought this ham on Sunday and hadn't looked at it yet. When I opened the package, I say YES. This was thinner than paper thin. It was like shaved ham. Hard to even separate the piece. Then I added a fairly thick slice of (store brand) swiss cheese. Ok, so here's the best part. Then I put on fresh cole slaw, right on the sandwich. It was heavenly. All those tastes combined along with the cool cole slaw.

I also like peanut butter and jelly with the Levy's Everything rye. You wouldn't think those flavors would work, but I did it one day when I had no other bread.

I have to say a sandwich might probably fit into my last meal plans. This ham and swiss with cole slaw, of course a BLT, or fresh fresh thinly sliced turkey or chicken with mayonnaise. Really, what's better? Over the weekend, I was thinking about a sandwich I haven't had for years. I don't remember where, but I used to go to an IHOP -- haven't been to an IHOP in years either, but they had this Hamburger Club Sandwich which was a club sandwich with a hamburger, bacon, lettuce, tomato and cheese. And speaking of club sandwiches, when I would go to Stancie's club, they had a lobster salad and bacon club which was to die for.

And then of course, just the plain lobster roll -- cold lobster salad on a toasted hot dog roll. Oh yes, yes, yes,

#2 Phone Tree Round One: Over the weekend, I was attempting to make a rental car reservation on Travelocity where they show all the car companies and all the car sizes. I picked a Budget car that would have been $142 total, but when I went to actually confirm the reservation, it showed the total as $302. It was weird that it would show the price and it would be the right price, but then the total would be off, and I knew it was off by a lot, not just a dollar or two.

I gave up, came back the next day and the same thing happened. I went to Budget's site thinking I could simply make the reservation there, but the price was even higher. I noticed a customer (dis)service number and called that to see what's up.

I went through the requisite phone tree...with voice recognition... finally am told I'll be connected to a representative. And waited. And waited. And waited.

And waited.

Finally I get this guy, explained the problem, and he said he could just make the reservation for me. Fine. But when he did, he had the same problem. Analyzed it as a "glitch." Said that price isn't available, but he did find me a better price via another company. Fine, but when I told him the Budget number should be fixed, he was like oh yeah, I guess I should... like it was no big deal.

I have to say I was tempted to "accept" that reservation until I realized I would no doubt have no leg to stand on, having agreed to "pay this amount due." Plus, it's crazy to have such wild variance in rental car prices, making one stupid to be loyal to one company.

Phone Tree Round Two: When I was in Ohio, I got a slip for a package which I sort of ignored since I couldn't remember ordering anything. Then I got the second notice and figured I should do something about it. I hate to go pick up a package because where I go is outside my neighborhood (ok, by a few blocks) but it's somewhere that my normal travels never take me.

Then I remembered that my helper will be here this week and thought she can go pick it up. The date said I had until September 26th which seemed (and still seems) like a long way away. Marilyn is coming on Wednesday and the package deadline is Wednesday. Hmmmmmm.

Of course, I could go tomorrow, but why? So I called the 800-number on the slip and this is customer service for the entire postal system... another phone tree with voice recognition and it seems like none of the prompts are appropriate for my particular situation. Finally get routed to a rep, hold, hold, hold, hold... with those friendly reminders that I could go to the website... hold hold hold... a woman comes on and she's clearly managing this call, does not want me to speak unless spoken to.... all I wanted to know is "Is the date the day the package is returned or the last day to pick it up?"

She goes round and round, asking my address, the routing number on the salmon colored slip (it was left blank), told her the orginal date and the return date and here's her answer:

You need to take photo ID to the post office along with the slip to retrieve your package.

Oh really? Wow. Why didn't I think of that? I was going to... oh never mind.

I said to her dryly, "I knew that when I placed this call."

She didn't know if I were being bitchy (I was) since I said it in a neutral voice. I then said (and by now five minutes has gone by), "Can I come on Wednesday to pick up the package or will it have been sent back?"

She then replied that the packages are returned AFTER close of business on that day.

Thanks. That's all I needed to know.

2 comments:

Mary Mc said...

regarding sandwiches, since you bring that up - this time of year, my favorite sandwich is a ripe from the vine tomato on white bread (good bread) with mayo and salt and pepper, nothing else....mmmm, with corn on the cob, and a peach for dessert, it's perfect.

Anonymous said...

Upon looking again, that was Sotto Cinque, right?