Friday, September 14, 2012

Work is done; On the way home

Greetings from Wadsworth, Ohio, where I'm stopped for the night. Worked until about 4, then drove about 4 hours and stopped at this place I've stayed before. I am always in search of the economical hotel and this place is called Legacy Suites, and it's like something out of a time warp -- including the price which is $50 a night. When's the last time you handwrote a card when you check in? It's old and dumpy, but very clean, smells clean, is clean and it's an old-fashioned motel-style so you park right in front of your room. Big screen tv, loads of channels, microwave, refrigerator, what more could I want?

I had a very strange coincidence happen today. Someone who reads one of the magazines I write for contacted the magazine because they wanted to hire me for an "editorial project." It is an individual, not a company. She said she liked my writing. So the magazine forwarded my email and I contacted her. She replied that she's written a book and she wants help copyediting and giving her feedback. I've done that before, but here's the coincidence: the book is about a sort of odd topic; it's a memoir and it's a topic I had considered writing a book about.

So here's today's slide show:


Gas prices dropped 10 cents over three days

Heading north away from Cincinnati. This is approaching Columbus.

This is Columbus, Ohio.

Past Columbus and continuing north toward Cleaveland.

This doesn't really capture it, but this is late afternoon sun where it gets really golden. Photographers love it. I used to work with a photographer who called this "liquid light"  -- it's also great light to photograph people as skin tones come out well. It's a pleasant time to drive, listen to my audio book. I 've heard two on these trips; am currently listening to a Steve Martin book called Shopgirl, which I've read, but this one came with a lot I bought on eBay and I like it since he also reads the book.

The one thing that concerns me in this area, driving near dusk, are deer. There are so many signs warning about them, and I actually saw two on the side of the highway -- just 20 feet or so away from the road. I have no experience with them -- swerving, braking... what are you supposed to do? I guess people sometimes don't even get a choice-- just do your best to not hit the darn thing.

Here's the view from my bed. The bathroom is old, but really clean.

Here's the good TV with many channels and the top half of my clothes. I was thinking that ripping off my clothes when I get in a hotel room is something I can still do fast. Yes, even when I'm alone!

 
The rest of my room -- it's a king size bed, and the room has the desk, a coffee maker, a microwave, a refrigerator, new a/c, etc. Great value for $50. Little shampoo and conditioner too.

So tomorrow it's on to Allentown on my relaxed way home. Then I'm about two hours away from NY and will be home around lunch time on Sunday.  It will be good to be home, although I have to say I really do enjoy my colleagues at this particular client. We have a great time together. When I left today, I got a round of applause. I thought I was being praised, and they said they were applauding that I was leaving.  I think they were joking...

3 comments:

Melissa said...

My journey home was not nearly as relaxed or interesting...up at 4:15am... Quick shower and pack.. Taxi at 5:30.. Hour to airport for an 8:00 am flight. The good news was it was on time and nonstop. Home faster but no fun. It is however a little less stressful when school is back in session and summer is done. Flights are less jammed.. Even had an empty seat beside me! That was a treat! And the weather is cooler -- it was beautiful in DC. Travel safe!

Anonymous said...

Funny, our gas went up. Now it is the same price as yours.

Congrats on the new work. Sounds interesting.

The room looks very nice. My brother and his wife were here 2 weeks ago and stayed in a Knight's Inn. It wasn't so nice. At 6am, my sister-in-law woke up because she felt something crawling near her head on the pillow. It was a red worm. That was the end of their sleep. There is a Microtel nearby which looks nice. Maybe they will try it next time. A little more pricy one is very close to us which I heard is very nice...Country Inn and Suites. Do you know that name? I know people who have stayed there and liked it a lot. You even get a free hot breakfast which probably means that it will wind up costing the same price as the cheaper ones. Hopefully the breakfast is good. At the KI, the was a continental breakfast in the lobby but it looked crummy so they went next door to Bob Evans for breakfast. Can't beat that.

Have a safe trip home. Keep those pictures and stories coming!!!!

Stephanie

Pat said...

I really like Microtels, but you have to bear in mind they call them MICRO for a reason. The rooms are quite small. I don't care because I'm used to NYC apartment spaces, but if you're used to living in a big house, it may be cramped. I have stayed at Country Inn and Suites -- and it's good. The hot breakfast is typically this waffle machine where you make your own but they have cereal, fruit, danish, toast, mini-muffins, etc.