Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Getting Emotional

Ok, I admit it: I was watching American Idol tonight. The actual competition hasn't started -- they're still winnowing down the group to 10 boys and 10 girls. Tonight's show was to take 10 of the girl finalists and reduce it to five.

So I was actually listening and playing a computer game, glancing up at the TV from time to time. Then the very last girl, this African-American girl named Amber, started singing My Funny Valentine. I have to say it's been a favorite of mine, and she was unbelievable. Her voice made me stop playing and watch the TV. Eventually her singing made my eyes well up with tears. It was so powerful and just the sound of Amber's singing made me cry.

I remember one other time when that happened. It was the first time I heard and saw the tenor Jose Carreras sing. It was a performance on PBS and my own tears took me by surprise. His voice was so pure.

Now the update: Amber has made the cut so I will be able to see her again.

3 comments:

Mary Mc said...

It's fumny you write that because I was flipping through the channels and I saw the comments of thr judges but I didn't hear her and wished I had. What is her last name?

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only crier! Stephanie

Pat said...

Just checked on line and her last name is Holcomb. There are various videos of her singing so you should be able to see it.