Thursday, April 4, 2013

Random Thoughts

Got an email from Keurig today promoting their "Island Coconut" coffee -- and I can't make my mind up about it. I love coconut. Mary and I were talking about making a coconut cake when we're in the Outer Banks in September. I love coconut custard pie. I was thinking about that old-fashioned dessert called Snowball which is a round ball of vanilla ice cream that you roll in coconut and then drizzle chocolate sauce on top.

But coconut flavored coffee? My jury is out on that.

Here's the description:  A sweet, light-roast of Central American Fair Trade coffee infused with the lush aroma of freshly grated coconut. Island Coconut K-Cups are free of calories and carbs. No sugars or sweeteners are added.

For anyone who has a Keurig, try the French Toast coffee. I love just sticking my nose into the mug and sniffing it. It's identical to French Toast.

Next topic. I was talking to an old friend today whose wife died last week. They have been married 55 years. We talked for about an hour and I asked him at one point if he had dreamt about her, and he said, "Yes, last night." She had been sick for a number of years and he said in this dream she was robust again. I told him that I believe the people we love who pass on come to us in our dreams. That's been my experience anyway. I think they want to show us they're doing OK, and evidently this man's wife is.

Next topic. This was a day of renewal. Beauty makeover included mani, pedi, face waxing, eyebrow shaping. Next. Haircut. I should have asked the hairdresser to take a photo and I tried to take one myself but the results were not that flattering. This time it's way shorter, and really have to say it's how Stephanie used to do it -- still parted but with a little longer in the front. I really like it, and really like her. She is very young and I was telling her the chest hair story, and she said that men with chest hair are "disgusting." Wow. That led to a discussion of tattoos, which she has, and she said she is thinking of getting them removed. She feels that men who see them feel she is easy.

She is a beautiful girl, really stunning, and she showed me her tattoos, on her chest (between her neck and her boobs) and it was hard not to cringe. I know that's another generational thing, but it so looks like defiling your own body. I asked her how old she was when she got them and she said 17.

When she came to my apartment, she told me her boyfriend was a block away and asked if I minded if he came. I said no, I didn't mind and asked what he was doing a block away and she said "Waiting for me." So he came over and I liked him. He is Dominican and works at this fancy shoe store.

I have to say I feel out of it among the young folks. At one point, she's cutting my hair and telling a story and says, "So she and I were face talking with her boyfriend" or something like that -- definitely "face" but I don't remember the verb. And I said I didn't know what that meant, and it means that they were video conferencing on their smartphones. Oh dear, someone help me into my rocking chair.

The three of us had a nice chat, however, and I thought I don't have to keep up with all the goings on; all I have to do is have an open mind. She told me that she is always going to charge me this lower price because I am her favorite customer which surprised me, considering this is the second time I've seen her.

But as Stephanie can attest, I am low maintenance. I leave it up to the person -- even with the mani-pedi, I let Marianella pick out the color. She doesn't even ask me any more if I like it. She just does it. My feeling is that these people know better than I what's going to work.

My beauty makeover included my apartment as Ana was here cleaning. I think it's safe to say I didn't get much work done today, but that's OK.

Last topic. Where the blank is spring? It's been in the 30s. Today it got to about 45.

No comments: