5 Things that I like about Mary
- She's a great friend. I remember the first time I met her in September 1967 and liked her from the get go. We met in a gym class, but it turned out we were two doors away from each other in our freshman dorm. Through the years, we've been through all of life's ups and downs together. When I think about my life, I can't imagine what it would have been like without Mary.
- She's a great hostess. Mary always makes everyone feel welcome in her home. Always buying special food, cooking special things. I am struck that when I arrive in her house, she always seems so genuinely happy to see me. And when it's time to go, she urges me to stay while trying to convince me to take home these cookies or that piece of fruit.
- We always, and I mean always, have fun. No matter what we do, I always have fun with Mary. Whether it's actually doing something fun or just sitting on the sofa or playing cards or watching TV, we simply have fun together.
- She's so kind. Much kinder than I am. If there's a kid crying in a restaurant, my reaction is to mutter, "Shut that brat up" while Mary says "Oh the dear little soul."
- She's fun to talk to. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but we've logged thousands of hours of phone and face time together, and I never get tired of talking with her, whether it's silly gossip or world events.
And to answer the question 45 years in the making that we posed way back when, Yes, I still need you, yes, I'll still feed you when you're 64.