Thursday, June 13, 2013

Happy Birthday to Miss Fran who is Sweet Sixteen (plus)


Five Things I Like about Fran (in no particular order)

1. We share a passion for true crime. Blood droplets, knives, guns, machetes, scorned lovers, jealousy, money, motives, secrets and lies. We love it all and love to follow a great true crime story whether it's an Ann Rule book or a 48 Hours or something happening on the news. I will say that Fran was way more into the Jodie Arias trial than I was, however.

2. She has learned to express her own creativity which I admire. She draws, she paints, she sings, she plays the piano. She hasn't lost her love of "playing."

3. She is a damn good photographer of every day life.

4. She is a gentle soul. Hard to imagine her blowing her top which I think I've only experienced once or twice (not toward me, of course.) She keeps calm and carries on. You feel calmer when you're around her.

5. She is loyal and supportive as a friend. Always willing to listen, even to stupid life-has-annoyed-me-my-feelings-got-hurt stuff. She quietly listens to it all.

And for these reasons, and many more, I am glad Fran is my dear, old friend. I must add that I miss her in DC but, if I were honest, what I really miss is our shared dinners at Tony DiNapoli which we got down to a science. Same table, same food -- yes, we had quite a routine going. This is a place that serves family style platters so you ordered for the table. After half a dozen or so times, we hit on the ideal combination, the thought of which right now, is making my mouth water. We'd get one platter of Shrimp Francese (sauteed shrimp coated with a very light lemon batter) and Ziti Bolognese (ziti in tomato meat sauce.) We'd get a glass or two of pinot grigio, ate a loaf or so of Tony's wonderful bread with sesame seeds on it and finish it off with lemon sorbet. Then we'd slowly walk home (me) or to the subway (Fran) parting ways at 86th Street. God, that was good.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FRAN!

4 comments:

Mary MC said...

I second all that Pat says -- except for Fran and me it's Chadwick's

happy birthday Fran!

Melissa said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRAN!

fran said...

Thank you for celebrating my birthday on your blog and for the lovely Sweet Sixteen Plus corsage. Brings back lots of memories.
However, now I have am insatiable desire for Tony's ziti...and shrimp...and sorbet ....and wine....and your good company. Thank you my friend!

Pe

Barbara said...

Happy birthday to Fran.
I want to try Tony's after that description!