Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pre-Birthday Thoughts

Fran is reminiscing to Mary and me about birthday corsages like we used to do back in the day. Here's what I'm talking about, although ours were homemade, not professionally made as this one appears to be:

This is way nicer than the ones we would do.
 
We had different things for different years. I think 13 years was bubble gum, 14 or 15 was dog biscuits, although I'm not sure why, and 16 was sugar cubes. The more popular you were, the more corsages you got. Of course, we thought this was very cool.

Now I've done three minutes of research and found this chart from a woman named Sally Strove:

Corsage Candies and Their Meanings

Year
Candy
Meaning
10
Lollipops
Unknown
11
Gumdrops
Unknown
12
Tootsie Rolls
Unknown
13
Bubble Gum
Unknown
14
Dog Biscuits
Puppy Love
15
Lifesavers
Unknown
16
Sugar Cubes
Sweet 16
17
Lemon Drops
Sour 17
18
Cigarettes or Beer Bottle Caps
Coming of Legal Age

Well now I know why dog biscuits. We mainly did 13, 14, 15 and 16. Nothing past that.

So what would you put on a 60-something birthday corsage? Aleve? Blood presssure pills? Little tubes of joint ointment?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Only you would think of something like this... God I luv ya girlfriend! I'm so glad you give me something to smile about almost every night when I can catch up via the blog :).

Fran said...

We Brooklyn NY corsage makers also never went beyond 16. Guess because most of us left high school at 16 or 17.
Perhaps an age 60+ birthday corsage could include mini pics of the famous musical artists of the era, like Elvis, Dylan and the Beatles....alongside tiny tubes of Polident Dentugrip of course!
Peace and Love,
F

Barbara said...

I never heard of this practice - maybe was not widespread outside of NY? I know what the Year 54 corsage should contain - Estrogen pills!