Friday, July 5, 2013

SCAM!

I received an email today with "Awful Trip!" in the subject line and a woman I know via work in parentheses in the subject line. Didn't think anything of it at first since I know this woman, she's British and I know she travels a great deal.

I was still believing the first sentence -- although I thought it odd as she's a single woman who typically travels with other single women so the first red flag was that she was traveling with her family. Just didn't sound like her. Then the next red flag was her getting mugged. I think of her as so street savvy, having traveled all over the world that I thought that was odd. Also, she is a writer and the punctuation is so bad that I knew something was wrong.

But soon, I realized it's a scam -- am sending it along in the hope that you never fall for this -- I can see how people do. I hate these scammers, and I feel bad for my friend that she has to deal with the aftermath of it.

here's the email:

Good morning,
 
I hope you get this in time, my family and I made a trip to Manila(Philippines) unfortunatley we were mugged at the park of the hotel we are staying, all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily we still have our passports with us,

I have been to the Embassy and the Police here but their response was too casual, the bad news is our flight will be leaving very soon but we are having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills, I will need your help/LOAN financially I promise to make the refund once we get back home, you are my last resort and hope, Please let me know if i can count on you and i need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way i can reach you.

Thanks
MELINDA
 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
me again: I also know that the Embassy would help you, and so would your credit card companies.
 

1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

I hate those people! I received a very similar message a few years ago and the woman I knew was little flaky so part of me thought it was possible but not enough of me to do anything. I also figured if it were true, I'd hear something else. Some sweet friend of hers actually sent the scum $1000.