Friday, August 23, 2013

The Universe sometimes has to hit me over the head

I remember reading that the Universe keeps sending us lessons until we learn -- and the lessons get more and more pronounced -- until they get our attention. I think I have an example of that.

For years (probably about three), I have ordered my groceries on line, regularly, loyally, from Food Emporium. A few glitches and snags along the way, but nothing bad. Then the store in my neighborhood closed and my business was transferred to another store 25 blocks away. That's when the problems really started: showing up late, telling me the delivery guy can't find my building, things left out for no reason, etc. The most recent mistake was being charged (you get a normal cash register receipt) for two items that weren't delivered. I complained, and was told that I'd be given a credit on my next order, and even as the young woman (whose name was Patricia) was telling me, I didn't believe her. And I was right. No credit.

I complained again. Nothing. No response. No resolution. But still, I remained loyal. This past week, I went to order groceries, go through the whole shebang, am ready to check out and it wouldn't accept my password. I finally gave up and clicked on the "send me an email to reset my password" and the site told me that my email address isn't valid. I kept looking at every letter in it. Yes, it's valid. I gave up, went without and then tried the next day. Same thing.

Oh, I get it.

So last night I ordered from Peapod.com and I have to say I am impressed. More selection, lower prices. I get Food Emporium delivery for free, and Peapod charges $6.95, but if you accept a bigger delivery window, you deduct two dollars so I did that. My delivery was scheduled for 4:30 pm to 8:00 pm today. I was told I'd get an email with a more precise time.

I did. Around 3 pm, I got an email saying my delivery would be for 6 to 8 pm. The guy shows up at 6:45 singing to me in a delightful Jamaican accent. He was happy. He wasn't mumbling. He really was delightful. I wasn't thrilled that he called me Mama, but I'll take it as a compliment. When he looked at my paperwork, he said he knows this is my first order and "Welcome to Peapod!!" and told me what to do if I had a complaint. I was happy with the food; everything was right.

So I get it, Universe. Change. I'll go with Peapod from now on.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Don't beat yourself up, the universe has to hit a lot of us over the head.

Mary Jones said...

Yup, the Universe keeps knocking. Sometimes we're just too busy to notice.

Was driving home from MKE yesterday ... took my daughter and granddaughters there for their flight back to Charlotte ... :-( ... and thought of you because I decided to stop at Shreiner's to pick up some clam chowder for dinner. It was good ... and the rest will be good tomorrow for lunch, I suspect.

Keep cool ... some hot weather coming your wya.