Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Calling Dr. McComb....

Melissa writes:

So... I was so impressed by Mary's Christmas Cactus (actually I was weeping)! Here is my Christmas cactus... The same as it had looked for 4 years!  Mary, what am I doing wrong???

Pat adds: Other botanists are invited to chime in with advice....

 
 
Dr. Mary, Urban Botanist, responds:
hmmm I'd have to guess it's just luck, or luck with light.  My second plant is starting to bloom too.  They both get sunlight but nothing special.  I water them once a week and always worry about whether I'm over watering or underwatering but they seem to be ok.  I also think the one that I sent you a picture of seems as if it needs more soil but I've never actually managed to add soil and it's blooming.  Maybe someone else knows what I'm accidentally doing right.
 
Pat adds: You have nothing to lose, so I'd repot the whole thing and put it in a whole different window/light area. Sometimes I think what kind of light they get is more important than anything.
 
Anyone else?


4 comments:

Mary said...

I wish I knew what to tell you. I think it's luck or something to do with the light. My plants are both in windows that get nice light but not a whole lot so I don't know what that says. I don't do anything other than water it once a week (if I don't forget).

Melissa said...

Thanks for the good advice from my green thumb friends ☺️. I think repotting and moving to different window (with a bit more light might be worth a try! Dr. Mary.... I think you are just a natural (from photos I hbe seen in the past).... And I am the total opposite!

Barbara said...

Let's be thankful on this day -- I think Melissa's plant looks pretty healthy and nicely green. Maybe it will bloom in another year.

Stancie said...

Mine seem to like west sun and more water than other succulents. Definitely need light!