Saturday, January 24, 2015

Opening Night

I have some West Side Story music on my iPod which I've been listening to -- and I can't help but wonder what it was like on opening night of that show. So many amazing songs that became standards. I think about what the audience must have thought.

When West Side Story came out as a movie, I believe I was in 8th grade, and because it was special, the movie house raised the rates to $2 which was a lot of money.

I think the same thing about South Pacific, Music Man and some of the other classics. A client told me he saw South Pacific in its opening run on Broadway. Maybe it was controversial at the time. Think I'll see if there are any opening night reviews.

I have a vivid memory of when my parents would go to Broadway plays and my mother would wear a fancy cocktail dress -- and now people clean out their garage and arrive in the same apparel. Oh, I sound like an old lady!

No comments: