Sunday, July 26, 2015

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety-Jig

I made it! I met Marilyn at my apartment and proceded to West 58th Street. This time the security check of the car was a thorough one... if you recall, this parking garage is in the CNN Building... and they had those mirror things that they stick under the car, check the backseats, the trunk, etc. Of course, 5 minutes later, I come hobbling up this ramp, cane in hand, not exactly a terrorist, but I understand.

The retnal car guy annoyed me. This rental car place is really deep underground, a ramp which is probably a block long and steep. So the guy comes up to my car and asks me if I want a printed receipt or an email receipt and I said, "whichever is quicker" as the amount of time I'm standing and sturdy and walking up that ramp is limited... so instead of choosing, he repeats, "Mam, this is your decision. Do you want an email receipt or a printed receipt?" And so I just said "email" and he said, "then you can go." Why the hell couldn't he have just said that?

So I make it up the ramp, but there's no way I could have done it with my luggage, but I didn't stopto rest, did it all at once (Ok, this is important to me that I have built up endurance) and got out on the street and then watched the cabs. My beloved Crown Vics are a rare commodity, it seems... and I was checking out the rear doors to see how difficult it would be for me to get in. Then the sky started getting dark and I thought that I better get my butt in any cab before the skies opened up. So I hailed one... it was a Camry... I have to see what the front looks like (so I can hail one coming down the street) because I didn't have a hard time entering or exiting. I had a very nice driver who kept telling me to take my time...but I really just did it.

The best part was that Marilyn was in my apartment and we unpacked ALL of my bags and went through ALL of my mail and recycled and shredded and put the suitcase away. What a treat. Really, when you live alone and are used to doing everything yourself, I so appreciate the help. I hate unpacking and it was done in about 15 minutes.

There's no place like home.




No comments: