Sunday, August 9, 2015

50 Years of Friendship

Not only have I started getting emails about my 50 year high school reunion (summer of 2017) -- yes, all I can say is YIKES I AM OLD... but September 2017 will also be the 50th anniversary of my meeting Mary and Michelle. Yes, it was September of 1967 and I was 16 years old. I always like saying that to rub in what a child prodigy I was... but as I'm sure I've mentioned, the three of us all lived next door to each other in the dormitory...with other roommates... I had two roommates: one was a cheerleader type, one was this nasty old thing. Michelle who was the sophisticated sophomore was rooming with a friend... and Mary, as a freshman, also had two roommates... one was a semi wildchild from Florida and one was just plain weird.

This weird one was an early adapter to being a vampire and I don't know what else to say other than she had "issues."

So the three of us have remained fast friends. I thought it would be fun to have some sort of celebration and go to a fancy restaurant for dinner in DC... a real splurge... which morphed into going to a place where we used to go as college girls, but we couldn't find one restaurant (or business) for that matter that was still open.

Then I found an article in the Washington Post about DC restaurants that have been around for more than 50 years so we'll pick one of those.

Today, the man who is always the high school reunion leader sent out a list of kids who were dead. It was quite sobering to read it -- some of them I had been quite close to in high school... for 49 years, there's "only" about a dozen people on the list which isn't too bad.

It did make me grateful that my name wasn't on that list. Makes my aches and pains seem not so terrible!

No comments: